► Family Tour: April 7, 2013

Sunday 7 April 2013

Journey: Triple L Estate – Holiday Inn – Triple L Estate – Stoney’s Broomes Island – Triple L Estate

Engine Hrs: trip 1: 453.8 – 454.8; trip 2: 454.8 – 455.9
Vessel: Chaparral 260 SSi Bowrider
Trip 1: pick up Steve, Hannah, Kerry, and Garret
Depart 10:15 am
Trip 2: Sam and Kathy
Depart 1:50 pm – Return 6:00 pm

Conditions: sunny, slight breeze, warm if in the sun and out of the breeze.

Trip 1: Mary called in the morning to ask for directions to our house. Since Steve, Brenna, and Garret have not seen where we live, she thought it would be nice to stop by on their way north. I offered to come pick people up to let them have a bit of a tour by boat. Although Mary worried that it would be too much of an inconvenience for me, I finally convinced her otherwise. Lori stayed home to straighten up the house while I picked up a small group – the same people as last night.

hannah garret kerry crop

I gave them a small portion of the ‘tour’ (deepest part of Chesapeake Estuary, Pax River Naval Air Station, D-Day, etc) as we traveled to Triple L Estate. Mary and Brenna were already at the house by the time we arrived. They stayed for a short visit before heading north towards home.


Trip 2: Triple L Estate – Stoney’s Broomes, Island – Triple L Estate
Conditions: WINDY, becoming progressively windier as the afternoon progressed
(starboard got soaked – had to use wipers for a great deal of the way)

Sam and Kathy agreed to go to Stoney’s with us in the afternoon. Jeannie had said on Friday that the outside bar would be open on Sunday; we arrived, however, to see a closed outside bar. Drat. We almost turned around, but agreed we could at least sit outside.

Although nice and sunny, the wind was relentless. It became windier and windier as the day progressed. The Broomes Island creek began to have white caps. Not good considering we had to ride home into the teeth of the wind and waves. Oh well, we had the foul weather gear on. We sat outside on the floating dock and enjoyed a lunch and a number of drinks (me mostly unsweet iced tea). For the final drink we finally went inside because we could not take any more of the wind.

When we left, I informed everyone that it would be a slow ride home in order to not beat the crap out of everyone. We headed to the St. Mary’s side of the river in the hopes of finding calmer water more protected from the wind. No luck. The waves continually splashed up against the starboard side. Thank goodness for the foul weather gear otherwise I would have been soaked! I ended up having to use the windshield wiper for most of the ride home due to the splashing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s